The past few months have been quite busy as we begin preparations for our fall conference. Though it seems like a long way off, time flies. To help us plan for the conference, and publicize some of our initiatives, I have a couple of action items to talk to you about this month. I hope you will take the time to consider each one and see if you can be a part of any of them.
1. We are still looking for exhibitors and sponsors for our conference in October entitled Launching Gifted Learners: All Systems Go, which will have teachers, parents, administrators, counselors, coordinators, and college students in attendance. Best of all, this year we are going to be in person at the Wilderness Resort in the Wisconsin DellsI It’s sure to be a hit, with two outstanding keynotes from Colin Seale and Dr. Matt Zakreski. It will also be fabulous to network in person again, to renew old acquaintances and to make new ones. Could your company or organization use some exposure? This will be a perfect opportunity! Check out our exhibitor/sponsor proposal packet to learn more, including the steps to sign up at https://midd.me/t7rw
2. Additionally, we need more presenters for our conference. Do you have classroom strategies or resources that will benefit advanced learners? Do you have parenting tips to share? Are you passionate about the social and emotional needs of gifted kids? Share your knowledge with others and submit a proposal to present at the conference. If you can work this year’s theme of Launching Gifted Learners: All Systems Go into your presentation…even better! We’ve extended our deadline to April 15, 2022. Here is the link for proposal submission: https://forms.gle/bQz8PrfSE77yK6Mw9
3. There is still time to apply for a summer student scholarship. Each year, WATG awards scholarships to students across the state of Wisconsin to attend summer enrichment opportunities. Awards are based on MERIT, the strength of applications, and scholarship need. The deadline to apply is April 15, 2022, and the application is here:
4. WATG is looking for nominees for our outstanding contribution in gifted and talented awards. Individuals who have made significant contributions to the cause of Wisconsin’s gifted and talented children should be considered. Visit our website to see all the potential categories.The nomination deadline is September 1, 2022, and awards will be presented at our conference in October. The nomination form can be found at:
5. And finally, EVERYONE should SAVE THE DATE for our Launching Gifted Learners: All Systems Go conference. The parent and teen portion of the conference is Sunday, October 2, 2022, and the main conference will take place Monday and Tuesday, October 3-4, 2022. The Wilderness Resort in the Wisconsin Dells will serve as host for all three days. Fasten your seatbelts; this is going to be a stellar opportunity! The countdown is beginning!
Roxane Hagedorn, Executive Director
Wisconsin Association for Talented and Gifted
WATG extends a huge thank you to Dr. German Diaz of Milwaukee Public Schools for translating this article into Spanish for our families and educators who speak Spanish. The translation can be found on our website.